GN 00905.300: Development of Claims from Residents of Mexico
Effective Dates: 05/15/2015 - Present
- TN 8 (07-93)
- GN 00905.300 Development of Claims from Residents of Mexico
- A. Policy
Except as shown in C.1. below, the FSPs in Mexico handle claims and inquiries from residents of that country. The FOs along the Mexico - U.S. border are not servicing offices for contacts or claimants in Mexico.
- B. Procedure — Claims inquiries
Refer claims inquiries to the FSP servicing the individual's address for development of the claim and contact, as explained in GN 00905.302. See GN 00307.670 for the addresses of the FSPs in Mexico.
- C. Procedure — Claims filed in FOs
- 1. Border FOs
- If a resident of Mexico comes to the FO to file a claim, assist him/her in completing the necessary applications and related forms. Keep jurisdiction over the claim until it is processed to an award or disallowance.
Request any additional evidence or development needed from a source in Mexico directly from the appropriate FSP.
- Forward the claim to OIO when action on it (including any DOFA action) is complete.
- 2. Other FOs
- If a resident of Mexico visits an FO (other than a border FO) to file a claim, assist him in completing the necessary applications and related forms. Accept whatever evidence he has.
If the claim is complete (including any DOFA action), forward it to OIO. If additional development is needed, forward the claim to the FSP having jurisdication over the claimant's residence. Do not transfer a claim to an FSP simply for a face-to-face interview as explained in GN 00905.302.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.