NL 01001.400: Special Notice Options for Notice Enclosures and Forms
Effective Dates: 12/12/2017 - Present
- TN 2 (12-17)
- NL 01001.400 Special Notice Options for Notice Enclosures and Forms
- A. Providing Forms and Other Communications in Alternate Formats
- If the person with a special notice option of Braille, data compact disc (CD), audio CD, or large print requests a form or other communication from SSA, prepare a cover notice using the Document Processing System (DPS) or the Customer Help and Information Program (CHIP).
- DPS and CHIP contain a drop-down box listing notice enclosures, including forms and publications.
- Use the drop-down box to select the form(s) or other documents you are sending to the person.
- Using DPS or CHIP to send the documents automatically routes a request to the special notice option vendor to also mail the documents in the person’s selected alternate format.
- B. Instructions for 800 Number System, RPS, MCS, and MSSICS Notices
- If the person has a special notice option of Braille, data compact disc (CD), audio CD, or large print, do not include any enclosures (e.g. publications or forms produced through the eForms application) with the standard print notice from the:
- * 800 Number System
- * Representative Payee System (RPS)
- * Modernized Claims System (MCS)
- * Modernized Supplemental Security Income Claims System (MSSICS)
- Instead, prepare an additional notice using the DPS or CHIP. Send the enclosure(s) and form(s) with the additional notice. DPS and CHIP contain a drop-down box listing notice enclosures and forms. Make sure to select the enclosure(s) and form(s) you are sending to the person. Using DPS or CHIP to send the enclosure(s) enables the special notice option vendor to send the same enclosure(s) and form(s) with the alternate format notice. If you do not have access to DPS or CHIP, prepare an additional notice using the Aurora notice system and send the enclosure(s) and form(s) with the additional Aurora notice.
- EXCEPTION: You may use MSSICS to send an enclosed form SSA-827 (Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration).
- C. References
- For more information on how to attach enclosures and forms to a notice for a person who has a special notice option of Braille, data compact disc (CD), audio CD, or large print, refer to the Field Office (FO) and Program Service Center (PSC) User Guides as shown.
- * DPS users refer to the DPSDeskGuide
- * CHIP users refer to CHIP 4 (WebCHIP) for Jaws Users
- * Aurora users refer to AURORA Training for Technicians
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.