RS 00208.005: Child-in-Care Benefits
Effective Dates: 02/24/2017 - Present
- TN 13 (02-12)
- RS 00208.005 Child-in-Care Benefits
- A. Policy for child-in-care requirements
- A claimant for mother's/father's, surviving divorced mother's/father's, or spouse’s (under age 62) benefits must have in-care an entitled child of the deceased NH. In order to receive an unreduced benefit, a spouse age 62 to full retirement age (FRA) must have a child of the NH in their care. The in-care child must meet all of the following:
- * be entitled to a child’s insurance benefit,
- * meet the conditions for entitlement, (For mother's/father's or spouse’s (age 62 to FRA) benefits, the child may be entitled on any earnings record (E/R). For surviving divorced mother's/father's and spouse’s benefits (under age 62), the child must be entitled on the NH's E/R.)
- * meet the relationship requirements to be considered a child of the deceased NH; and
- * be under age 16 (age 18 prior to 9/81) or, be disabled.
- Child-in-care also applies when the child was entitled to childhood disability benefits (CDB) prior to age 22 termination and became re-entitled to a new period of disability as a CDB after age 22.
- REMINDER: If the situations in RS 00208.001D apply, there is no entitlement.
- NOTE: Use the DEPENDENT CHILD IN CARE (DCIC) common screen to collect data for each child in the care of a child-in-care beneficiary
- B. Policy when the mother/father must meet child-in-care requirements
- A mother/father must have in-care an entitled child of the NH when:
- * he or she files an application for benefits; or
- * he or she seeks entitlement within the retroactive period; or
- * we convert a spouse's benefit to a mother's/father's benefit.
- C. References
- RS 00202.001 Spouse
- RS 00202.050 Spouse’s Benefits-Evidence and Forms Requirements
- RS 00203.001 Child’s Benefits for Entitlement and Non-Entitlement Provisions
- RS 00203.060 Child’s Entitlement on Two or More Earnings Records
- RS 01310.001 Conditions for Entitlement and Definitions
- RS 00203.085 Childhood Disability Development and Determination
- RS 00208.001 Mother/Father Definitions and Requirements
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.