GN 03313.010: Disclosure to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Effective Dates: 12/05/2016 - Present
- TN 1 (12-16)
- GN 03313.010 Disclosure to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- We provide general instructions for disclosing information from our systems of records to other Federal agencies and officials and a link to our systems of records and their applicable routine uses in GN 03313.001. If you receive a request from USDA, contact your regional Privacy Act Coordinator.
- A. Disclosure to administer the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- State agencies administer the SNAP program on behalf of USDA under provisions of the Food Stamp Act of 1977. SNAP offers nutrition assistance and provides economic benefits to eligible, low-income individuals and families. This program meets our criteria for disclosure to administer an income maintenance program. SSA has data exchange agreements with the state agencies under which we provide them with information to administer SNAP.
- B. Disclosure about SNAP applicants
We may disclose certain tax return and non-tax return information, including Social Security Number (SSN) verifications, regarding applicants who have applied for SNAP benefits under provisions of the Food Stamp Act of 1977. For more information concerning the disclosure of tax return information without consent to USDA, see GN 03320.015. For information concerning disclosure and verification of SSNs without consent see GN 03325.001.
- C. Disclosure about SNAP retailers
- The Social Security Act provides that the Secretary of Agriculture may require each applicant retail store or wholesale food concern to furnish to the Secretary of the Agriculture the SSN of each individual who is an officer of the store or concern for use in determining those applicants previously sanctioned or convicted under the Food Stamp Act of 1977. We may verify the SSNs of food stamp retailers or wholesale food concerns when requested by USDA in these circumstances and consistent with the Food Stamp Act of 1977 .
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.