GN 00905.464: Claims Helpers in Turkey
Effective Dates: 04/24/2014 - Present
- TN 7 (03-90)
GN 00905.464 CLAIMS HELPERS IN TURKEY
- A. Background
- The remoteness of the Elazig-Hozat area and the high degree of illiteracy have made claimants and beneficiaries in this area easy prey to the influence of claims helpers.
- In the past, these helpers were involved in fraudulent claims and the submission of fraudulent evidence. One individual arranged the marriages of retired beneficiaries to young women (including his own relatives), fraudulent adoptions (including adoption of his own children) and fraudulent child claims.
- Although there is no indication that these helpers are still actively involved in the filing of claims, most of the beneficiaries currently entitled to benefits in this area have, at one time or another, been involved with them. In addition, some of the young wives who had been involved in fraudulent child claims are nearing retirement age.
- B. Procedure
- Do not assume that there is no helper activity in the Elazig-Hozat area.
- Examine evidence carefully for any indication of the assistance or influence of a third party. Be particularly careful where the file indicates the involvement of Dursun Ozun, Salim Yousaf, or Mustafa Kaya (Ozun) in a prior claim.
Request the FSP in Adana to investigate if there is any indication of the assistance or influence of a third party.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.