GN 00505.018: Legal Guardian in Scandinavia
Effective Dates: 09/19/1997 - Present
- TN 6 (09-97)
- GN 00505.018 Legal Guardian in Scandinavia
- A. General
- Certain types of guardianship appointments in Scandinavia are based on a finding of legal incompetence. These types of legal guardians can be identified by the titles that appear on the appointment papers. No further evidence of incompetence is required when it is established that these legal guardianships exist.
If there is any reason to question information on appointment papers from these countries, forward the material to OIP, OPP for further investigation. Other countries will be added to this section as more information becomes available.
- B. Sweden
- The title in Swedish that appears on the appointment papers for a legal guardian who acts only on behalf of an individual who has been adjudged legally incompetent is Formyndare . No further evidence of incompetence is necessary in these cases.
When the representative payee development is undertaken, the Foreign Service post (FSP) will note if this title is shown on the appointment papers.
- C. Iceland
- The title in Icelandic that appears on the appointment papers indicating that a legal guardian acts only on behalf of an individual who has been adjudged legally incompetent is skipadur logradamadur . This title is to be distinguished from logradamadur which is a different kind of legal guardian (such as a parent for a child who is a minor). Further evidence of incompetence is required if the title logradamadur appears on the appointment papers.
- When the appointment papers are received, forward them to CTS to identify the title skipadur logradamadur, if they are not already translated.
- D. Denmark, Finland and Norway
- In these countries, the practices of the individual courts vary and the type of legal guardians appointed is not always based on a finding of legal incompetence. Therefore, where the appointment papers from these countries do not show a court finding of legal incompetence, other evidence of incompetence is required.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.