GN 02403.008: Processing Remittances Received Outside the Field Office
Effective Dates: 05/07/2003 - Present TN 13 (05-03) GN 02403.008 Processing Remittances Received Outside the FO A. INTRODUCTION - PROCESSING REMITTANCES RECEIVED OUTSIDE THE FO Out-of-office representatives issue manual receipts in resident stations, contact stations, or on field visits when a terminal with access to SSA systems is unavailable. B. PROCEDURE - CONTACT STATION OR FIELD VISIT When remote access to the Debt Management System is available, via Virtual Private Network (VPN), for example, access RFOR and provide a receipt to the remitter. Carry or mail the remittance to the field office, where it will be mailed to MATPSC for deposit. When the remittance is received in the FO, request the FORT (see MSOM DMS 004.008) for the date the receipt was issued, line out the remittances on the FORT that were already mailed, attach the remittance(s) received from the remote site, and mail to MATPSC. When manual receipts must be issued, process remittances as follows: REMINDER: This procedure can be adapted to in-office receipting activities during periods of emergency (See FO Automated Receipt, GN 02403.007C.)
- 1. Issuer
Issue a receipt book to the out-of-office representative who will be issuing receipts. Complete a Receipt Book Log as described in GN 02403.105. 2. Out-of Office Representative * When a remittance is received, examine payment per instructions in GN 02403.005, Examining Remittances Received in the FO. * Is payment acceptable? * If yes, stamp “For Deposit Only, SSA” or “For Deposit Only, CMS,” as appropriate, and go to step c. * If no, return unacceptable remittance to the remitter and request a replacement. STOP * Complete SSA-1395-BK receipt per instructions in GN 02403.130. Write “Issued in Field” in the “REMITTANCE CLERK” block and give the Remitter Copy of the receipt to remitter.
- * Enter the information from the SSA-1395-BK receipt into the automated system immediately upon return to the FO. Enter the SSA-1395-BK receipt number in the "Remittance ID" field.
REFERENCE: See MSOM DMS 003.006, and MSOM DMS 003.007 for how to obtain an automated receipt * Attach the automated FO receipt to the SSA-1395-BK receipt and enter the automated receipt's number on the SSA-1395-BK receipt (original and copies) in the upper right corner. * Handcarry the refund to the remittance clerk.
- * Return the SSA-1395-BK Receipt Book and the automated receipt to the issuer.
* Notify management if the remittance clerk or issuer is unavailable, so that the documents can be kept overnight in a secure location. Present them to the remittance clerk or issuer as soon as possible the next business day. (See GN 02403.025 for more details concerning remittances received after the FORT has been requested.)
- 3. Issuer
Review SSA-1395-BK receipt book to ensure that all receipts issued by the individual returning the book are annotated with the related automated receipt number. * If yes, have the Out-of-Office Representative sign his/her initials in the “REP INITIALS” block on the Receipt Book Log. Annotate the Receipt Book Log as to what receipt numbers were used. * If no, have the out-of-office representative make the correct annotation.
- NOTE: Retain the FO automated receipts for the FO annual management review.
4. Remittance Clerk/Remittance Supervisor
- Complete the refund process.
REFERENCE: See GN 02403.006A., Processing Remittances Received in the FO. C. PROCEDURE - RESIDENT STATION Process refunds received in a resident station without access to SSA Systems terminal, as follows: * If there is sufficient staff to designate a remittance clerk in the resident station, follow procedures in GN 02403.006. * Whenever there is access to a terminal, enter the remittance information into the automated system. 1. Resident Station Employee * Examine the payment per instructions in GN 02403.005, Examining Remittances Received in the FO. If cash payments are received outside the FO, follow the procedures in GN 02403.009 upon return to the FO.
- * Is payment acceptable?
* If yes, stamp “For Deposit Only, SSA” or “For Deposit Only, CMS,” as appropriate, and go to GN 02403.008C.1.c.
- * If no, return unacceptable remittance to remitter and request a replacement. STOP.
* Complete an SSA-1395-BK receipt per instructions in GN 02403.130. Annotate “REMITTANCE CLERK” block of remitter's copy “Issued in Field” and give copy of the receipt to remitter. * Mail daily, or handcarry on the next business day, the remittance and the original SSA-1395-BK receipt to the resident FO. * If hand carried to parent FO enter the remittance and SSA-1395-BK receipt number into DMS immediately upon arrival in the parent FO. Associate the automated FO receipt with the SSA-1395-BK receipt by entering the automated receipt number on the SSA-1395-BK receipt in the upper right corner. REFERENCE: See MSOM DMS 003.006 and MSOM DMS 003.007 for how to obtain an automated FO receipt. * If remittance clerk is unavailable, notify management so that the book and refund(s) can be kept overnight in a secure location and can be presented to the remittance clerk as soon as possible the next day. 2. Designated Personnel If mailed to resident FO, FO management will designate authorized FO personnel to enter remittance and SSA-1395-BK receipt number into DMS. Associate the automated FO receipt with the remittance and SSA-1395-BK receipt before presenting to the remittance clerk. 3. Resident Station Employee/Designated Personnel
- Return the original SSA-1395-BK receipt with the automated receipt to the Resident Station and submit the remittance to the remittance clerk.
4. Remittance Clerk/Remittance Supervisor
- Complete the remittance process.
REFERENCE: GN 02403.006A., Processing Remittances Received in the FO 5. Resident Station Employee Is verified copy of the SSA-1395-BK receipt and the FO automated receipt received from the FO within a week? * If yes, file the returned original copy of the SSA-1395-BK receipt in the receipt book and file the FO automated receipt in a secured area. * If no, call remittance clerk in resident FO and initiate lost-in-transit procedures outlined in GN 02403.155, if necessary.
- Return the completed receipt book, including the original SSA-1395-BK receipts, and the related automated receipts to the resident FO for review.
- 6. Issuer
Verify the completed SSA-1395-BK receipt book following the instructions in GN 02403.135, Verifying Completed SSA-1395-BK Receipt Books.
- IMPORTANT: These procedures can be adapted for other types of remittances as follows:
* fees (GN 02403.012), * money gifts (GN 02403.011), * credit card payments (GN 02403.006 ff.), * savings bonds (GN 02403.015), * Medicare premium payments (GN 02403.030), * returned Medicare checks (GN 02403.040) and * Medicare overpayment refunds (GN 02403.040).
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.