GN 00307.757: General Information on Evidence From the Philippines
Effective Dates: 06/17/2014 - Present
- TN 31 (08-05)
- GN 00307.757 General Information on Evidence From the Philippines
- A. Background
- Primary evidence of age, marriage, death, etc. is available in the Philippines. Despite the WW II destruction and natural disasters, RCC, Philippine Independent Church (PIC) and local civil records are available. There are few communities in which all the records have been destroyed.
- However, special procedures apply to this evidence because of irregularities in both the source records on which the certifications are issued and the certificates themselves. These fraudulent activities often involve claims helpers who are used by Philippine claimants both inside and outside the U.S. (see GN 00905.360 )
- B. Policy
- SSA does not accept certifications of Philippine records or certifications of the nonavailability of such records without considering the allegations and evidence in file, as well as the information in the following sections on the availability and reliability of Philippine source records.
- C. Procedure
Ask the Foreign Service Post in Manila, Philippines to establish the accuracy of evidence if there is a doubt about its probative value. Include information on the basis for questioning the evidence.
- D. Reference
- GN 00310.000, Catalog of Available Records in the Philippines.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.