VB 01503.615: Benefits Withheld While In a Treasury-Barred Country (U.S. Citizens and Nationals Only)
Effective Dates: 07/07/2014 - Present
- BASIC (01-02)
- VB 01503.615 Benefits Withheld While In a Treasury-Barred Country (U.S. Citizens and Nationals Only)
- A. Policy
- Benefits withheld while a U.S. citizen or national is in a Treasury-barred country may be paid (subject to the restrictions in RS 02650.005A.2.) if the SVB beneficiary relocates to a country that is not Treasury-barred or SSA-restricted. Proof of U.S. citizenship or national status is required before withheld benefits can be paid to the SVB beneficiary.
- The beneficiary must appear in person and submit proof of identity and establish that all other SVB qualification requirements were met during the period he or she was in the Treasury-barred country (e.g., was other benefit income paid to the individual during his or her stay in the Treasury-barred country?)
B. Procedure — FO, and FSPs
- 1. Face-To-Face Interview
- The beneficiary must appear in person (i.e., face-to-face interview) and submit:
- * proof of identity (use guidelines in RM 00207.010); and
- * proof of United States citizenship in accordance with GN 00303.300 or national status. (NOTE: U.S. citizenship reflected on the SVB SSR per SM 01601.475C.7.a. is sufficient proof.)
The interview will be conducted by an SSA employee in an FO or FSP employee.
- Fax and then mail all materials to the CPS having SVB jurisdiction.
- C. Procedure — CPS
- Pay SVB for the months withheld while the beneficiary was in the Treasury-barred country if he or she:
- * Is no longer in a Treasury-barred or SSA-restricted country;
- * Is a U.S. citizen or national; and
- * Entitled to SVB.
- Notify the beneficiary of the release of withheld SVB.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.