VB 01503.120: Beneficiary is Relinquishing Foreign Residence or Expects U.S. Visit To Exceed 1 Full Calendar Month
Effective Dates: 07/07/2014 - Present
- BASIC (01-02)
- VB 01503.120 Beneficiary is Relinquishing Foreign Residence or Expects U.S. Visit To Exceed 1 Full Calendar Month
A. Procedure — FO or the FSP
- If the individual is relinquishing his or her foreign address, obtain a signed statement showing the date he or she no longer considers himself or herself to be a foreign resident. Inform the recipient that SVB is payable only for months in which he or she resides outside the United States, and that he or she is not a foreign resident for SVB payment purposes effective with the earlier of:
- * the month after the month he or she no longer considers himself or herself a foreign resident; or
- * the month after the first full calendar month throughout which he or she remains in the United States.
- Fax and then mail the report, along with the signed statement obtained per VB 01503.110B., to the CPS having SVB jurisdiction.
- NOTE: If the individual considers himself or herself to be a U.S. resident and the report is filed in an FO, develop possible SSI entitlement. See SI 00601.010 (Filing Applications) for the policy on when a new application is required to reestablish eligibility. See SI 02301.205 (Suspension and Reestablishing Eligibility) for the policy and procedure on reestablishing eligibility after an eligibility suspension. If the report is not filed in an FO, advise the recipient to contact the nearest Social Security office in the United States about his or her possible entitlement to SSI benefits.
- B. Procedure -- CPS
- Process the adverse first-party report as instructed in VB 01501.011B. As there is no payment status code for “cessation of foreign residency,” force due the payment to $0 effective with the first month the beneficiary is no longer considered to be a foreign resident. Follow VB 01501.011C. if a written appeal to the adverse action is filed.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.