GN 00308.016: Connecticut Vital Records
Effective Dates: 05/08/2015 - Present
- TN 24 (07-04)
- GN 00308.016 Connecticut Vital Records
- A. Process
- 1. Obtaining Verification of Birth, Death, or Marriage Information
- To obtain verification of birth information, send the request via e562 to the Hartford FO (080), which is parallel to the State Vital Records Section in Hartford CT. The Hartford FO obtains the information one day a week. There is no fee to SSA for this service. Requests to local city and town clerks require no fee, either, but the response time will be significantly longer.
NOTE: The electronic 562 is available in Regions I through X and the Foreign Service Posts. Instructions for the completion and use of the electronic E562 are available at: http://nynet.ny.ssa.gov/E562/ .
- 2. Obtaining a Certified Record of Birth, Death, or Marriage
- If you require an actual certified birth, death, or marriage document, you should send the request to the Hartford FO (080). The Hartford FO will assist you with this request, and the State Vital Records Section will issue the document. There is no fee to SSA for this service. A fee is required for requests to local city and town clerks.
- 3. Obtaining Divorce Information
Please note that divorce records are not covered by this agreement. These records are available from the Clerk of the Superior Court where the divorce was granted. The cost is $15.00. The FO parallel to the court can verify the existence of a divorce record on Form SSA-4385. A list of CT court addresses can be found at http://www.jud.state.ct.us/directory/directory/ctinfo1.htm#Directions .
- B. Procedure — state sources
- 1. Address and FO Code Vital Records Dept. of Public Health MS No. 11 VRS P.O. Box 340308 Hartford, CT 06134
- FO Code 080
- NOTE: You can find the most up-to-date information from the Vital Records Section . In addition, you can find EIN information here.
- 2. Cost of Copy:
- Birth $15.00 (long or short form). There is no fee if the request is made through the Hartford FO.
- 3. Type of Payment:
- Money order.
- 4. Remarks:
- Birth, marriage, and death records are indexed for 1948 through the most recent closed year. Records for 1896-1947 are also on file at BVS but are not indexed.
- Can FO verify, certify or obtain free copy of a birth/death/marriage record? Yes. Contact the Hartford FO if you need verification of birth, death, or marriage information or a certified birth, death, or marriage record.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.