GN 03930.055: Benefit Authorizer Responsibilities - Overview - Fee Petition Process
Effective Dates: 07/16/2012 - Present
- TN 8 (02-05)
- GN 03930.055 Benefit Authorizer Responsibilities - Overview - Fee Petition Process
- A. Policy
- The benefit authorizer (BA) in the processing service center (PSC) or the benefit technical examiner (BTE) in the Office of Central Operations:
* certifies direct payment of a representative's fee from withheld title II past-due benefits based on authorization by the fee reviewer or by the Office of Hearings and Appeals (ODAR) authorizer;
- * releases excess title II past-due benefits withheld to the claimant and any auxiliary beneficiary(ies);
- * determines appropriate fill-ins for paragraphs designated by the claims representative (CR), claims authorizer (CA), claims technical examiner (CTE) or PC fee reviewer; and
- * sends notices to the representative, the claimant, and any auxiliary beneficiary(ies) when SSA pays the fee and releases any excess past-due benefits.
- NOTE: The position assigned to perform specific functions may vary among the processing centers (PCs).
- B. Procedure - Identifying Fee Petition Cases
- Identify fee petition cases by the following:
- 1. Form SSA-1128
- Look for the Form SSA-1128 (Representative Involved) flagging the claim file, with the block labeled “Fee Agreement in File” not checked.
- 2. Remarks
- Look for any remarks the CR, CA, CTE, or PC fee reviewer provided specifying that the case is or may be a fee petition case. Note the directions the CR, CA, CTE, or PC fee reviewer provided (e.g., with a remark associated with the A101) to withhold 25 percent of past-due benefits for possible direct payment of the representative's fee.
- EXAMPLES: The web-101 cover sheet or the BCRN screen reflects one of the following remarks:
- * FEE WITHHOLDING CASE - Fee Petition Expected, or
- * REP FEE CASE - Fee Petition or Waiver Expected.
- 3. Definitions
- As needed, refer to the sections listed below to clarify what are past-due benefits and benefits subject to withholding.
- * Title II past-due benefits, GN 03920.030.
- * Title II past-due benefits subject to withholding, GN 03920.035.
- * Past-due benefits in court cases, GN 03920.060B.
- 4. Questionable Situations
- Refer questionable situations to the CA/CTE for clarification.
- C. Procedure - Diary Matures - Withholding
Take the actions shown if the diary on a title II only claim or concurrent title II and title XVI claims matures and the PC has not received a fee petition, fee waiver or waiver of direct payment from the representative, or a fee authorization from ODAR or the court.
- 1. Initial or Reconsideration Level Case
- Route the case to the fee reviewer or disability specialist (or other position identified by the PC) for necessary action under GN 03930.090A. (case resolved below the hearing level).
2. ODAR Case
- Adhering to the practice in your PC, follow the procedure in GN 03930.090C (case resolved by Administrative Law Judge) or GN 03930.090D. (case resolved by Appeals Council) or refer the case to the PC fee reviewer for necessary action.
- 3. Court Case
- Refer to GN 03930.091 for the actions to take.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.