POMS Reference

This change was made on Apr 4, 2018. See latest version.
Text removed
Text added

GN 00204.006: Where to File an Application

  • Effective Dates: 06/30/2015 - Present
  • Effective Dates: 04/04/2018 - Present
  • TN 48 (12-98)
  • GN 00204.006 Where to File an Application
  • Policy
  • An application or written statement of intent to claim benefits may be filed at:
  • * any SSA office;
  • * any U.S. Foreign Service Post;
  • * the DVA Regional Office (VARO) in the Philippines;
  • * any U.S. Foreign Benefits Unit;
  • * the DVA under certain circumstances (RS 01702.410);
  • * the RRB under certain circumstances (RS 01601.230);
  • * a hospital provider of services to prevent a loss of Hospital Insurance (HI) coverage for persons age 65 or older;
  • * a State welfare office, but only for purposes of using the IAR (Interim Assistance Reimbursement) authorization as a protective filing (see SI 02003.005 for the policy on IAR); or
  • * a foreign agency for a totalization claim based on an international Social Security agreement between a foreign country and the U.S (see GN 00904.200, GN 01701.000).
  • * www.socialsecurity.gov (see GN 00204.055)
  • A person may also file by giving the application or written statement of intent to any authorized SSA or VARO employee on official duty in a place other than an SSA office or places listed above (e.g., a stand located in a mall, shopping center, etc.). The name and title of the SSA or VARO employee should be shown on the application (perhaps in the upper right hand corner) for the application to be acceptable.