GN 00904.220: Requests for Assistance in Foreign Cases
Effective Dates: 02/25/2016 - Present
- TN 13 (11-97)
- GN 00904.220 Requests for Assistance in Foreign Cases
- A. Policy
- Contacts with individuals outside the U.S. (other than in the British Virgin Islands, Canada, and Samoa) are within the jurisdiction of the Division of International Operations (DIO) in the Office of Earning and International Operations (OEIO).
- B. Procedure - FO requires a foreign contact
- 1. General
Use an SSA-562-U3 or the electronic 562 to request DIO assistance.
- Send the request to:
- * Social Security Administration P.O. Box 17769 Baltimore, MD 21235-7769
See GN 00904.245 for diary periods on requests through OIO for evidence from abroad.
- NOTE: Instructions for the completion and use of the electronic E562 are available at http://nynet.ny.ssa.gov/E562/.
- 2. Contacts in Greece
- If a third-party contact is needed in Greece and there is no claimant or beneficiary in that country, send the request directly to the FBU of the U.S. Embassy in Athens (as shown in GN 00905.174).
- If there is a claimant or beneficiary in Greece, handle as explained in GN 00904.220B.1.
- 3. Contacts in Mexico
If a third-party contact is needed in Mexico and there is no claimant or beneficiary in that country, send the request directly to the appropriate FSP as shown in GN 00307.670D.
- If there is a claimant or beneficiary in Mexico, handle as explained GN 00904.220B.1.
Exception: Mexican border FOs may send development requests directly to the appropriate FSP if there is a claimant or beneficiary in Mexico and the claim is being handled by the border FO.
- C. Procedure - PC requires a foreign contact
Make requests to DIO for foreign contacts in the same way as any request to a domestic FO. Send the request to the attention of the Claims Development Branch (CDB) in International Benefits Office (IBO) in DIO. D. Procedure - DIO requests for fo assistance
- Request assistance from the servicing FO, as needed, in developing a claim or an earnings discrepancy.
The instructions for securing wage information (as shown in GN 00904.070 through GN 00904.075) and requesting assistance (as shown in GN 00904.080 through GN 00904.090) are applicable to IBO and DIO when acting as an FO.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.