RS 02650.001: Treasury Department Restrictions
Effective Dates: 09/23/2015 - Present
- TN 11 (11-02)
- RS 02650.001 Treasury Department Restrictions
- A. Policy
- 1. Check delivery
- United States Treasury Foreign Assets Control Regulations and Cuban Assets Control Regulations (Treasury Circular 655) prohibit the delivery of all U.S. Government checks, including Social Security benefit checks, to (or on behalf of) beneficiaries in the countries on its restricted list.
- The Treasury also refuses the use of power of attorney by anyone in the restricted countries.
- 2. Benefit accrual
- Effective July 1, 1968, no monthly benefits accrue to a beneficiary who is not a citizen or national of the United States for any month in which he or she resides in a country to which payment is withheld because of Treasury regulations. See RS 02650.001C for a list of these restricted countries.
- You must refer all claims for benefits that accrued prior to July 1, 1968 to the Office of International Programs (OIP).
- Residence (not presence) in a restricted country is the cause for nonpayment. A beneficiary is a resident if he or she is present in the restricted country for a significant period of time and makes, or intends to make, his or her home there.
- If U.S. citizenship is the basis for claiming accrued benefits, no payment may be made before verifying U.S. citizenship (as explained in RS 02650.005A.3.).
- 3. Lump-sum death payment (LSDP)
- No LSDP is payable if a monthly benefit was not payable to the insured person for the month preceding the month of death due to residence in a restricted country.
- B. Procedure
- When a beneficiary goes to a Treasury restricted country, process the suspension (code SL) and change of address through the POS program (see MSOM T2PE.003.002 and MSOM T2PE 002.009).
- NOTE: When a beneficiary goes to a country to which SSA restrictions prohibit payment (some of the republics of the former Soviet Union, as discussed in RS 02650.020), payments are also suspended using code SL.
- C. List of Treasury restricted countries
This is a list of restricted countries and their applicable listing codes. The system automatically generates the specific listing code for all cases involving residents of the country. The listing codes will help identify any beneficiaries eligible for payments if the country becomes unrestricted.
LISTING DATE CODE
- North Korea
- NOTE: See RS 02650.005A.2.a. for Social Security checks to beneficiaries residing at the U.S. Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.