GN 00304.110: Adding Funeral Director Reports of Death to the Numident
Effective Dates: 08/05/2016 - Present
- TN 17 (10-11)
- GN 00304.110 Adding Funeral Director Reports of Death to the Numident
- A. Policy for adding funeral director reports of death to the numident
- 1. Deceased not entitled to benefits
- Add death data received by SSA from funeral directors via Form SSA-721 (Statement of Death by Funeral Director) to the NUMIDENT if the deceased individual was not a beneficiary.
- 2. Deceased entitled to benefits
If the deceased individual was a beneficiary, follow instructions in GN 02602.050 reports of death. Follow instructions in GN 0206.051 for processing reports of death using the Death Information Processing System (DIPS).
- B. Procedure for adding funeral director reports of death to the NUMIDENT
- 1. Input
- Add the death record for a non-beneficiary to the NUMIDENT using the Death Information Processing System (DIPS).
- 2. Documentation
- Retain the SSA-721 as follows:
- * Destroy SSA-721 for a non-beneficiary or non-productive SSA-721, after updating the NUMIDENT with the death information. For instructions on handling the SSA-721 as a lead, refer to GN 00202.020.
- * For a beneficiary:
- If a beneficiary filed a claim, annotate the Evidence (EVID) screen with “721” and destroy the SSA-721. For more information on the EVID screen, see MSOM EVID 001.003.
- NOTE: Add the SSA-721 to the listing in GN 00301.288 in a future transmittal.
- If the applicant does not file a claim, process the SSA-721 per GN 02602.050 and keep until we update SSA records. Then destroy the SSA-721.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.