GN 02403.011: Processing Money Gifts Received in the Field Office
Effective Dates: 04/15/2013 - Present TN 13 (05-03) GN 02403.011 Processing Money Gifts Received in the FO
- A. Policy - money gifts
Gifts to SSA may be received in the FO.
- Acceptable gifts include:
* money (cash, check, money order, etc.)
- * monetary bequests,
- * anonymous cash gifts, and
* returned benefit checks.
- The gift or bequest must be unconditional and not solicited in any way by SSA.
- B. Procedure - money gifts
- Process money gifts received in the FO as follows:
- 1. Interviewer
* Does the remitter request that the gift be assigned to a specific trust fund? * If yes, document the remitter's request and associate it with the remittance. Go to GN 02403.011B.1.b. * If no, go to GN 02403.011B.1.c. * Enter the gift into DMS specifying Reason Code “G” (gift), and trust fund “O”. When a valid SSN is not available or is not known, enter 9 nines for the account ID. Give the automated receipt to the remitter. REFERENCE: See GN 02403.005C.4. if gift is anonymous, and MSOM DMS 003.006 and MSOM DMS 003.007 for how to obtain an automated FO Receipt. * Is the gift in the form of cash? * If yes, follow the steps outlined in GN 02403.009B., Processing Cash Remittances Received in FO. STOP . * If no, go to GN 02403.011B.1.d. * Give the remittance and the DMS generated payment coupon to the remittance clerk.
- 2. Remittance clerk
* At the end of day, obtain FORT and associated remittance(s) with it. REFERENCE: See MSOM DMS 004.006 and MSOM DMS 004.008 for how to obtain FO Remittance Transmittal. * Complete the first SIGNATURE, TITLE, NAME and PHONE lines on the FORT. * Handcarry FORT with related payment coupons and refund payments to the remittance supervisor at the end of the day.
- 3. Remittance supervisor
- * Review each line item on the FORT to ensure that remittance information is correct and matches the credit amount block on the FORT.
- * Review any mailroom or reception area logs completed that day to ensure that any refunds annotated on the logs are included on a FORT.
- REFERENCE: See GN 02403.004 for details concerning mailroom and reception area logs.
* Record any discrepancies and resolve them with the remittance clerk/Interviewer * Complete the second SIGNATURE, TITLE, NAME and PHONE lines on the FORT. * Place the correspondence pertaining to the gift, the FORT, any payment coupons and the refund in an envelope. Seal the envelope and mail to MATPSC the same day. If the day’s FORT and remittances cannot be mailed the same day that the FORT is produced, they should be secured and mailed the next business day.
- REASON: MATPSC will deposit the remittances and the gift, and forward all correspondence pertaining to the gift to the Office of Financial Policy and Operations, Office of Finance, which maintains the data for the Commissioner's office.
- * Acknowledge the gift, per GN 02413.003.
NOTE: Any questions about gifts posed by either an employee or a member of the public should be directed to the Office of Finance by calling 410-966–0113.
x← This means that the line was removed and was added – in other words, the "Effective Dates" line at the top of the document has been updated to reflect that the new version is effective as of the date the change was made.